The city of Charlotte has canceled the annual MLK parade due to Covid-19, but other events are scheduled to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
Here are some we know about. If you know of other, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eight teams from across North and South Carolina will compete in MLK PEACE Basketball Showcase, an invitational competition hosted by Back to the Basics Academy.
Stay informed with news and events that impact Charlotte’s Black communities.
- Join the McCrorey YMCA for a virtual celebration featuring prayer, speakers, and performance.
- CMS Arts & Writing Contest: a multimedia display of the arts, featuring Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools students in spoken word, music, dance performances and other works of art.
- Growing the Dream Award ceremony: a luncheon to recognize Mecklenburg’s unsung heroes and community members who work to foster unity and promote diversity and multiculturalism. The event is free to attend and space is limited.
- MLK Day 2020: Community Dreams: a full day of programs at the Harvey B. Gantt Center, including art workshops, lectures and panels, film discussions, performances, and more.
Other events this week
Sarah Stevenson Tuesday Forum (formerly Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum): This virtual event will host Rachelle Latimer, CEO of Elite 360 Transportation, an Amazon delivery service partner.
Open Air: Join Dexter Wimberly at the Gantt Center as he interviews mixed-media artist Antoine Williams and curator David Wilson about their influence and work behind the Visual Vanguard Exhibition.
Acoustic Grace: a monthly showcase for singer-songwriters and Cappella artists at Uptown’s historic Brooklyn Grace (formerly Grace A.M.E. Zion Church).